Stretching the Truth: How Far Is Too Far?

Published Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:40 PM

We all know honesty is the best policy so how come white lies and fibs keep popping up on resumes? Lately, the papers are full of stories about individuals ranging from Congressional candidates to medical researchers to the Notre Dame football coach who have lied about (or distorted) their credentials. What gives?

In a tough job market, people may be tempted to embellish their resumes to improve their chances of getting hired. But HR departments are on to this phenomenon. A CareerBuilder.com http://bit.ly/ajuCTH survey found that nearly half of hiring managers surveyed reported catching candidates lying on their resumes. That's a lot of resumes hitting the trash can.

Ever been tempted to embellish your resume? You are clearly not alone.

Check out the top most common fibs popping up on resumes. They include:

• Lying about a degree, education
  • Playing with dates to hide gaps in work or to appear younger/older
  • Exaggerating numbers (i.e. inflating sales figures, etc.)
  • Lying about salary
  • Inflating titles
  • Lying about technical ability (claiming versatility in certain software, etc.)
  • Lying about language fluency
  • Fake addresses
  • Padding GPAs

Catching a job candidate in a resume lie or exaggeration is a red-flag for hiring managers. Outright lies and even distortions can sabotage not only your chances of getting the job to which you are currently applying but other jobs down the road. If headhunters find out you're untrustworthy, they won't come knocking on your door again. Professional circles can be small; don't tarnish your reputation.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Have you ever seen a white lie or a whopper on a resume you've been given? How does your company conduct background checks on prospective employees? Post your thoughts here or at the Beyond Folders Facebook page.

by Candie Harris

Filed under: ,

Comments

# AdminLori said on Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:42 PM

I am pleased to say my resume is 100% true. I have had people encourage me to embellish skills or experience, but I like being able to tell potential employers that it is all true - every word. As an Executive Assistant, the people I work with have to be able to trust me. It doesn't say a whole lot about my character if I can't even be honest on my resume.

# buy oem software said on Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:03 PM

UeuUC6 Uh, well, explain me a please, I am not quite in the subject, how can it be?!...

# Motivation to lose weight said on Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:32 AM

2FJRiu Great blog post.Much thanks again. Really Great.

# cheap oem software said on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:47 AM

7LkvUb A big thank you for your blog.Thanks Again. Awesome.

# Michael said on Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:22 PM

Get up to 100000 forum  bnkcliaks with our bnkcliaks service & massive targeted  trafficGet large online web traffic using best backlink service available. We are able post your custom post up to 100’000 forums around the web, get insane amount of bnkcliaks and incredible targeted online web traffic in very short time. Most affordable and most powerful service for web traffic and bnkcliaks in the world!!!!Your post will be published up to 100000 forums worldwide y

# Hum said on Monday, July 16, 2012 4:36 AM

Hey, I couldn't find a coctant form so I hope you don't mind me posting here. Wow, I had a great idea for your interesting little blog  . I'm an internet marketer and I spend a lot of time making and reading blogs like Privacy Policy | Country Living Furniture all day. I used to just waste my energy making a few bucks here and there from google adsense but i found something SO much more powerful and better. I SWEAR ON MY PET'S GRAVE I MADE $351.76 $$CASH$$ today just 3 days after modifying my blogs. Can you imagine how floored I am? Here is where I learned all my tricks:  Just giving your site a look I can tell you'll probably pull in a few hundred bucks a month extra if you modify just a little code. I hope that it serves you well and you have all my blessings. Cheers! Manuel Eguia

# qesukjtegbt said on Monday, July 16, 2012 12:31 PM

3Usj1j  <a href="qtyvinwhlxys.com/.../a>

# jwdgodealnm said on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:57 PM

bPSQkj , [url=http://zmcfzxmucuky.com/]zmcfzxmucuky[/url], [link=http://ggvjbjzvungj.com/]ggvjbjzvungj[/link], http://frujalidnuaz.com/

# aywpypoqsrg said on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:12 PM

rcQNcF  <a href="ppckpkibjhfw.com/.../a>

# hgotyc said on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:46 PM

UmvW4K , [url=http://dkqbzlrabknb.com/]dkqbzlrabknb[/url], [link=http://xhuwcyhenwmz.com/]xhuwcyhenwmz[/link], http://ifxhaiueyxwh.com/

About Beyond Folders™

Beyond FoldersTM is written by a team of Pendaflex associates passionate about time management, communications, productivity and workplace organization.  Believing in  "continuous improvement" on both a personal and professional level, they share their unique perspectives on subjects of common interest to our readers.

Join the Beyond Folders™ Community of readers passionate about time management, productivity, communication and workspace organization.

Read BFC News