When It’s Time to Move Jobs

Published Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:33 PM

Gone are the days when employees spent their entire work life at one job, retiring with a gold pocket watch. In today's work world, it's not uncommon to change jobs, or even careers, repeatedly.

People move jobs for all types of reasons: money, desire for new challenges, boredom, and bad bosses. Knowing when it's time for a change is tricky. In today's uncertain economy, a job in hand is not to be taken lightly. So how do you know when it's time to go?

We've assembled some resources that can help determine if it's time to pound the pavement, resume in hand. Take these Q & A's and see if you're ready to move on:

Before You Go

Once a move is in the works, set yourself up for a seamless transition by following the advice in these resources:

Finally, take pains to leave your current job on a good note. We like the advice in USA Today's How to Leave a Job Properly.

How do you know when it's time to switch jobs? Do you have any tips or strategies for leaving on a good note? Share your thoughts here and on the Pendaflex Facebook page.

by Candie Harris

Comments

# oem software said on Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:04 PM

CQTvC1 Interesting, but still I would like to know more about it. Liked the article:D

# Pietro said on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:18 AM

Hello, again, Francois I don't profess to be  THE  pxreet on this stuff, only someone who has hit my head against the wall and kept on going.I wouldn't worry as much about the cost to register a domain as I would about the bigger picture.By that I mean, saving a few bucks on a lukewarm domain will pale by comparison with a great domain (that you might actually have to outright buy.)Even if I had the option to pick up the same domain as a .COM vs. a .US, I would opt for the .COM, first (especially if my budget was limited.)If I could afford to do both, I would.The key thing to remember is Google loves relevance and a  meaningful  user experience so a simple redirection won't cut it.Take the time to make the domain name and title very keyword specific.Then, take the time to make the domain content rich (even a really good article about the keywords in question is a great start).You could then have a few links to other sites (all of which stink by comparison) with your link to your main  money site  as the first one (where we presume you have taken the time to  do it up right ).Not to belabor the point, but if your current main site isn't  dead on , do the bulk of the work on that one, first, because all of the extra work on other sites will only serve (if you are lucky) to bring traffic to your preferred site and if it stinks (or could be far better), you put the proverbial  cart before the horse .John G.    TheRefillMan

# Ufuk said on Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:06 AM

Wow I must cofness you make some very trenchant points.

# Motivation to lose weight said on Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:40 AM

yjRwBN This is one awesome article.Really thank you! Great.

# oem software said on Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:17 AM

i4txpe Im thankful for the post.Thanks Again. Really Great.

About Beyond Folders™

Beyond FoldersTM is written by a team of Pendaflex associates passionate about time management, communications, productivity and workplace organization.  Believing in  "continuous improvement" on both a personal and professional level, they share their unique perspectives on subjects of common interest to our readers.

Join the Beyond Folders™ Community of readers passionate about time management, productivity, communication and workspace organization.

Read BFC News